Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Slaving Away

Managing the apartments certainly has it's perks. I get to stay home with Jackson and just be a Mommy every day. Our rent is super cheap. Plus, we live in the BEST ward and have so many friends. But lately I've been seeing the downside of managing.

We've recently had 3 apartments vacated. They are disgusting. I honestly don't know how people can stand to live in such filth.

For example: One of the apartments had huge holes punched in the drywall. There was black mold all over the bathroom. There were black, black hand prints all over the walls. One of the apartments had burnt food crusted all over the oven--took me 2 hours to get it clean. I had to physically pick things up off the entire floor before I could vacuum. There was food left in the fridge. One of the apartments had meat that had leaked in the fridge and there was a thick layer of blood in the bottom. There was crayon, sharpie, cat hair, old gum, and boogers all over the walls. There were cobwebs everywhere. And it was infested with roaches.

As managers, we are the lucky ones who get to clean these apartments. Yes, we get paid extra for doing so. (Basically, our rent this month will be free). I have spent days on end for 3 weeks now cleaning these apartments. We are almost done. I really think we'll be done today. I hope we'll be done today. We have another project outside that we need to do--laying down new weed block fabric and covering it with bark--that we want to get done this weekend.

Can I just say that I am ready for a break? To have time to clean my own messes? To just be a mommy and play with my boy instead of trapping him in the playpen while we work, or locking him in the apartment with the monitor with us while he sleeps? Soon. Then I get to do it all over again at the first of next month when we have another tenant move out. Oh goody. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment